A blackhead is a plug of sebum in a hair follicle which is darkened by oxidation. They are a specific kind of dark acne lesion, so-called because they contain oxidized melanin, the pigment made by skin cells called melanocytes. Blackheads form due to hormonal changes; hence blackheads are usually formed during puberty.
Simple blackheads do not normally cause pain or other symptoms, but the development of more severe acne can result in such symptoms, along with social and psychological effects. It should be noted that blackheads are not dirt and will not be removed by scrubbing harder. Rather, scrubbing can irritate the skin and can even cause acne.
5 Simple Home Remedies To Remove Blackheads Permanently:
A little baking soda mixed with water will have a lasting effect on your blackheads. However, you must make sure that you do not add too much baking soda as it can damage the skin. The reason why baking soda is an excellent way to get rid of blackheads is that its small granules can work through tight spaces and unclog your pores.
- Mix two teaspoons of baking soda with mineral water to form a paste
- Massage on blackheads
- Allow drying then rinse with water
- Repeat if necessary
Cinnamon is considered an anti-bacterial spice that can be turned into a face mask to remove blackheads. Cinnamon also increases blood flow to give your skin a more radiant and vibrant look.
- Mix cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add a pinch of turmeric powder as well
- Mix till it forms a paste
- Apply on blackheads and leave it on overnight
- Wake up and wash with water
- Repeat for 10 days
Egg whites can be used to tighten pores and reduce the chance of furthering blackheads in the skin. Not only do they remove your existing blackheads, they also provide the skin with nutrients. A mask can be made using egg whites.
- Separate egg whites from the yolk
- Wash your face and allow it to dry
- Apply the egg whites on your skin
- Allow the first layer of egg whites to dry and the apply an additional layer
- Allow the mask to get tighter as that is a good sign
- Remove the mask after a few minutes of it getting tight and wash face
- Repeat if necessary
Streaming blackheads out might be a myth you have heard of. While it is true that giving yourself a steam does not remove blackhead, it softens the dead skin which would’ve become the fillings in your blackheads. Steaming them would lighten the appearance of blackheads but it would not remove them completely.
The main risk factors leading to blackheads and other acne are largely unavoidable – the hormone changes during puberty, for example, cannot be prevented. However, by avoiding highly humid air conditions, tight clothes and cosmetics which tighten pores, one can avoid the risk of blackheads and can remove blackheads easily.